Garfield NJ trustee Frank Barber resigns

0


GARFIELD – After more than five years in the service of the school district, Frank Barber, a member of the Board of Education, resigned his post effective June 30.

Barber said he was doing this to spend more time with his family and that it was “an honor and a privilege to serve as a member of Garfield’s board of directors.”

He said he and his wife were expecting a baby in a few weeks.

“We’re very excited, and with the new addition, I think I won’t have the time to devote to the children and families of Garfield to be the best board member I can be,” said Barber. . “I am first and foremost a family man and I put my wife and my children first, and I want to be there at full capacity for my two children.”

Superintendent Anna Sciacca said she was sorry to receive Barber’s resignation but “fully understood his reasons for family obligations.”

She said that as an educator, Barber had “a great understanding of the needs of the district and her voting record consistently reflected her commitment to promoting success for all students.”

Those wishing to apply to fill the vacant school board position should submit an application to the district offices at 34 Outwater Lane. Candidates will be interviewed by the school board, which then proceeds with the selection.

Modification of the law on hiring:Garfield, with two key vacancies in town, lifts hiring restriction

Local News:Bergen County replaces outgoing administrator Julien Neals with Garfield official

Barber, a teacher in the Cliffside Park school district, drew attention after a verbal altercation with a member of the public at a Garfield school board meeting earlier this year. Police records show officers arrived after the meeting to find Barber, another school board member Everett Garnto and a member of the public named Anthony Erekat outside, still agitated and spitting insults.

Police body camera footage obtained by NorthJersey.com captures the dispute, with Barber at one point apparently mocking Erekat about a hazing incident. In 1992, Erekat was a high school student when he said he was hazed at a summer camp for the Lodi football team.

A public recording request to the district for the official video recording of the meeting, which is usually posted on the district’s website within days, was denied. Additional requests for security footage taken within the college were also denied. NorthJersey.com has since sued the district for the documents and won. The district appealed the decision regarding the security footage.

Katie Sobko is a local reporter for NorthJersey.com. For unlimited access to the most important news from your local community, please subscribe or activate your digital account today.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @katesobko



Share.

Comments are closed.